Wednesday, January 13, 2016

It's not about us

I just finished reading the book of Job and I have to admit, I got lost in it all (no, not lost as in engrossed, lost as in completely confused).  I asked my husband about it and he said he watched a helpful Francis Chan youtube video on Job.  Not only do I love most Francis Chan videos (check him out if you've never heard of him), but I loved his take on the book of Job. 

His conclusion was this: life is not about us!  Colossians 1:16 says "For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him."  Then 1 Corinthians 10:31 says "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." 

If you've never read the Book of Job, do!  But just to recap, the book starts out talking about how Job is the most righteous man on earth.  Satan goes up to heaven and has a conversation with God.  God asks Satan where he's been and Satan says he's been roaming the planet.  God asks if Satan's noticed his servant Job and Satan says of course, he only loves you because he's blessed.  God then says okay take everything away from him and see that he doesn't still love me.  Satan does, he takes everything from Job: his family, health, and wealth...and Job STILL worships God.  Although he questions God through it all.  God's response to Job's question: another question!  God asks Job who he think he is questioning the creator of the universe.  Job repents and God gives him back everything Satan took and then some!

Not only does this book display God's power to give and Satan's to take away, but it shows that there's more to this life than the human eye can see.  Romans 9:20 states "But who are you, a human being, to talk back to God? “Shall what is formed say to the one who formed it, ‘Why did you make me like this?’”  And Isaiah 55:9 "As the heavens are higher than the earth so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."  

For all we know Satan still roams the earth and has meetings with God.  Although I doubt any of us are as righteous as Job was, who knows if God doesn't say to Satan, have you seen my servant (your name goes here)?  We don't always know why we're trialed and tested, why God gives and Satan takes away, but God does (and I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's all for God's glory...not ours ;o).  I know I take comfort and feel peace in knowing that although I may just be a pon in a giant game of chess between God and Satan, I already know who the victor is!  More than anything, I am eternally grateful (more than words can say) for the ultimate sacrifice Jesus made on the cross for my sins, so that I may someday live forever with Him (and Satan won't be there!)

  

No comments:

Post a Comment